Wednesday, November 20, 2019

LargeHearted Boy: Playlist for A Peculiar Kind of Immigrant's Son

Thank you, David Gutowski of LargeHearted Boy. He gave me the opportunity to create an imaginary playlist for A Peculiar Kind of Immigrant's Son at this nexus of writing and music. Thirteen songs on Spotify, with my commentary about how they remind me of the characters and situations in my book.

"I listen to music to think and to find inspiration from its emotions, energies, and rhythms. Music is a fount of creativity for me. When I’m deep in a story in my head and I’m trying to work out a character or plot line, or I’m thinking of the many layers of a story, I listen to music. It’s a way of letting go, of immersing myself in something new that is not writing. My favorite music always inspires me to find that solution that previously bedeviled me, or it loosens something stuck in my brain and I often have an aha! moment where I see what I previously did not see. All of this happens when I lose myself in sound."